The two main ways to cool your home are by air conditioning and a ceiling fan. The main differences are — air conditioning cools down air in a room and a ceiling fan pushes air around a room. While both make a difference, ceiling fans never achieve the icy coolness you’ll get with a quality air conditioning system.
Another way to look at it is that ceiling fans give a moderate cooling effect, but cost less to run than an AC. So is an air conditioner or a ceiling fan better for your home? Let’s delve deeper into the pros and cons of each to help you decide.
Pros and Cons of Using a Ceiling Fan
Advantages of Fans
Ceiling fans assist in circulating air around a room dispersing bad smells and giving relief from hot, stuffy air. New style fans have come a long way with SMART technology, higher airflows, and stylish designs. Main advantages;
- More affordable to purchase and operate
- Minimal upkeep and maintenance required
- Friendly for the environment with low energy output
- Doesn’t dry out the air
- Fans are relatively easy and fast to install
Disadvantages of Fans
While fans are a good option for home comfort, they do come with some disadvantages. Obviously, where you live is a big factor in whether a fan would work for you. Fans just don’t have the cooling power of air conditioners which puts some people off.
- Circulates air doesn’t cool it
- If it’s extremely hot, a fan would just push hot air around not really keeping you cool
- Blades of a fan can be a safety hazard
- A ceiling fan does not filter the air
- Fans do not remove any humidity from the room
Pros and Cons of Using Air Conditioning
Advantages of Air Conditioning
Air conditioning is the ultimate cooling system for Australian homes. Air cons also filter the air and remove pollutants which is extremely beneficial for allergy sufferers. Many people say they could not live without their air con system, but they are not right for everyone.
- Effective at cooling large spaces and multiple rooms with a ducted system
- In high temperatures, air conditioning is extremely effective at cooling the air down
- Air conditioners filter the air removing pollutants. This keeps the air clean which is perfect for allergy sufferers
- Good in areas with high humidity. Air con units work like dehumidifiers absorbing humidity into the unit
- Option to use the cool or heat cycle
Disadvantages of Air Conditioning
While air conditioning is the king of cooling, some may find a few disadvantages. It really depends on what you’re trying to achieve. If you live in an extremely hot area, AC is the only way to go. If you live in milder temperatures, an air con might not be right for you.
- Operating costs are higher than a ceiling fan
- ACs need regular maintenance to keep running effectively
- Dries out the air which some may not like